Wednesday, February 11, 2015

a haiku for every boy i've ever kissed

 





I
flip phone in my hand
heart pounding out of my chest
young love's just too weak

II
two of our talents
were keeping our secrets and
having too many

III
a reckless daydream
you were cold nights and long hikes
never safe or sound

IV
a naive heartbreak
i swear on my life you were
my biggest mistake

V
on long summer nights
we drove fast and kissed slowly
and I felt nothing

VI
you were an expert
at using logarithms
as well as people

VII
goosebumps and cold hands
i still don't know your full name
I don't even care

VIII
forty minute drive
you came to me every week
but I never you

IX
unrequited love
fingers deep in curly hair
now we never speak

X
three lines of a poem
couldn't explain the feeling
that still hasn't left

XI
cold and trembling hands
you said you used wikihow
but you never learned



14 comments:

  1. I like all of this a lot a lot a lot but 4, 6, and 10 were my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 &11 really took me by the shoulders and shook me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 is so good. all of it is great actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really didn't want to put anyone in the top 5 twice right off the bat.

    But c'mon. This is so brilliant and sweet and sad and beautiful and brilliant again.

    And I freaking hate haikus.

    Thank you for bringing them back from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my feelings about this were "aww yesss" and "radical" and "super good" and "beautiful". i feel like that's a lame comment but i'm saying it anyways

    ReplyDelete
  6. VI and X holy shiz this is amazing like wut how did you come up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're probably sitting at some desk somewhere

    just know that we snapped for you

    I hope you heard us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. savannah said you should update this

      like, have you kissed any more boys (or girls) (or robots)

      Delete