Sunday, February 22, 2015

like a ton of bricks





we started to lay bricks on a thursday
it was a master plan
you said you wanted to build a tower so tall you could kiss the sky
and i wanted whatever you wanted 
so i put my hair up
you put your gloves on
and we got to work
brick by brick we built what i thought was a beautiful love
but to you was just a stunning piece of architecture
it was breathtaking, really
people would stand and stare for hours to watch us build
but baby i played all my aces too soon 
and i ran out of ways to convince you that these bricks have nothing to do with me 
they never did 
we forgot to use mortar 
and it was our fatal flaw
as soon as the cold winds started to blow
our towering establishment fell to the ground
and whether it was my beautiful love or your stunning piece of architecture
we lost it all
the crowds scattered
i took down my hair
and sighed a long sigh of relief 
because i'm afraid of heights
and blue never really was my color 

5 comments: