Saturday, February 28, 2015

and i miss you more than words







it was 9:14 when my mom got the call
she ran sobbing into my room
and when she told me 
i didn't believe her 
"no he didn't. no he didn't. no he didn't."
not him
not him
me and my sister
we didn't talk for 3 days 
i think she was afraid she would say something wrong
i was just afraid of breaking down
i've driven past your house every day 
hoping i'd see you in the yard
just like i always used to 
but all i see is a sad swing set
and a flood of memories that never ease the pain
i'm afraid to speak to your mom
what do you say to a mother
with a 17 year-old son sized hole in her heart
that she'll spend her whole life trying to mend
she's been knocked down so many times 
but she keeps getting up
i know you love her with all of your heart
i know you love her with all of your heart

i'm trying not to be angry
at people who are moving on too quickly
and teachers who never said a word about it
and god who let it happen
because i know we're all trying our best
and these things are hard to talk about 
but god, please send him all of my heart-broken love
and tell him again that i love his curly hair
please tell him that i love his smile
and the way he'd get excited when he told stories
please tell him that 
please tell him that

i've cried a sea every day since he left us
and i'm starting to forget how to swim


6 comments:

  1. I Am Sorry. I Am So So Sorry. I Wish I Could help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 3:08 and I hadn't cried today yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. youve cried a sea. and i have too. lets try and swim together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful. I agree about the whole trying to not get mad at teachers who didn't say a thing about it. Finding the balance between not dwelling and not forgetting is so so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one could have said it better. I'm left speechless...

    ReplyDelete