Sunday, March 22, 2015

bite-size







i want to give you something new and something real
i want to give you a serving sized portion of my heart and i want you to eat it all in one bite
and i want you to ask for seconds and thirds and fourths and fifths
i want to give you a VIP pass to the workings of my brain and i want you to sit back and take it all in

but i just can't

because you see it's world war three and it's my brain versus me
you've gotta fight, my brain tells me, you gotta win you gotta fight
you gotta take all that power, all that beauty, all that might
and turn it into something more than a song written for someone who will never hear it

but i just can't

because i've written chorus upon chorus and song after song after song
but they all sound the same and i'm trying to find someone to blame it on
it's gotta be someone's fault because i'm telling you, it's not mine
but they keep giving me lineups to pick out the criminal
and all i can see is my reflection in their eyes

so i'm sorry that i can't give you a poem that you'll put on your wall
and i'm sorry that i can't take the blame for it
but you have to understand that we're on act 3 of a 10 part play
and this is the battle scene
and you've got your ammunition and your spears
and all my mama gave me was a pencil that's already broken
and a heart too big and too red for all of this

4 comments:

  1. I want to put this on my wall.
    You are so gifted at writing.
    That opening paragraph was so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good. Man I wish I could write like this!
    Seconds, thirds, fourths, fifths. Keep it coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "go, fight, win!" -edna mode from incredibles. this post just made me think of that. but really the part about world war 3 and your heart being too big is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "because you see it's world war three and it's my brain versus me
    you've gotta fight, my brain tells me, you gotta win you gotta fight" Perfection. Wow. This whole post was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete