Thursday, January 29, 2015

sun glow, electric lime, robin egg blue, periwinkle, razzmatazz





i once had a teacher who docked points if you doodled on your papers
she said that flowers distracted from what was really important
what was really important was math
was equations 
capitols 
grammar 
spelling 
but I thought flowers were important
so I doodled 
and I lost points 

don't let the parents get you down
don't let public school get you down
don't let 12 years of adults putting creativity caps on your head and giving you compliments like
"math looks so good on you."
"has anyone ever told you that you would look beautiful in physics?"
"this geography really makes your eyes pop!"
get you down

they took away my crayon boxes and told me to use pencil instead of pen in case I made a mistake
they made me spell "creativity" and "imagination" out loud
they taught me the definitions
and tested me on it every week
but they never told me to try it on
and they never told me it made my legs look long 
or that it complimented my skin 

they took away your crayons when you left third grade but now they're scattered all over the floor of nelson's room so now's your time

to pick one up

and draw some flowers. 

4 comments:

  1. i can tell youre going to be one of my favorite blogs. love your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculous title. In a good way.

    Holy crap, those three lines with math, physics, and geography. Humor and poetry together? Yes, please.

    Who knew creativity could make our legs look longer? Brilliant. Beautiful.

    And of course: "but now they're scattered all over the floor of nelson's room

    so now's your time"

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE COMPLIMENTS SECTION AND MATH AND EVERYTHING AND AHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  4. THE COMPLIMENTS SECTION AND MATH AND EVERYTHING AND AHHHH

    ReplyDelete