Sunday, April 19, 2015

nothing that has happened so far has been anything we could control





I remember slippery driveways.

I remember honey sticks and getting lost at farmers markets.

I remember telling the girl making a ceramic cross necklace that it was wrong. I remember not understanding why everyone disagreed.

I remember the sour altoids from trader joes and I remember the day the stopped carrying them.

I remember every song on the CD parker seegmiller made for me.
I remember saying I hated nostalgia, and him thinking that was intriguing or something stupid.

I remember drinking so many slurpees. Too many.

I remember my dad punched a hole through the bedroom door.
I don't remember why.

I remember praying to find the match to my sock.


I remember praying for my grandma to be able to remember who I was.

I remember swimming in the gross green lake.

I remember my 8th birthday party. It was a combined party with one of my friends and she opened a present that was supposed to go to me. Even though it was mine, I felt bad taking it from her. It was a stuffed horse.

I remember Zane and how we called him Zane-the-pain-the-big-butt-stain. It was mean but he called me something mean too so it wasn't bullying I think.

I remember getting called to the principles office for sticking pickles on the brick wall every day at lunch.
I remember falling in love on trampolines.

I remember 8th grade night games and never wanting to go if Tanner Thompson wasn't there.

I remember trying hard not to get the bottoms of my jeans soaking wet from the North Western rain.
I remember counting freckles.

I remember when my sisters hamster died, she ran away with it and we couldn't find her for quite an hour.

I remember how Olivia Evans house always smelled weird.

I remember the tan leather lady that lived in the neighborhood.

I remember my dad sitting outside during lightening storms.

I remember when the neighbors got in a drunk fist fight outside of our house.
I remember peeking out the window when my mom told me not to.

I remember 24 hour drives.


3 comments:

  1. I learned more about you in this post than your other 15 posts combined. It's writing like this that reminds me why I love this prompt so much.

    The punch in the wall, the birthday present, the neighbors fighting, the cd, the prayers, and holy crap the nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my dad sitting outside during lightning storms.

    My dad and I would do this all the time.

    The part about the principle and the pickles was probably my favorite.

    This is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the part about your friend opening your present and you having to take it. that was beautiful.

    sometimes i feel like people write and just say things. and then i read posts like this. and i love that your writing is real and means something to you and i never want to stop reading this.

    ReplyDelete